Thursday, April 19, 2007

The Switch

When we had received the buyer's offer to close on April 30, I waited to respond because I wanted to seek final approval/consent from my boss to telecommute from that point onwards. Following that day (Monday April 2) I had tried to schedule a meeting with my boss to discuss my last day with the company. This meeting was postponed several times, until this past Monday, April 16. On that day, he told me that telecommuting was not going to work for someone in my role and that as long as I came into work, I would have a job!

This was absurd. This was a Bait & Switch! Had I known this policy, I would have tried to change the closing date to mid-to-later May. I expressed my disappointment and questioned his decision change. I told him that the current project has more white-boarding and customer interaction than the up-coming ones and consequently will easily be feasible while telecommuting. He was set on his decision.

I then suggested that I take a different role of spec-ing & writing reports. He said he would consider it and get back to me later that day. If this alternative is not possible, I told him that May 1st would be my last day. He told me to make the letter and .

Furious! But perhaps God is pointing me towards spending quality time with both Erin and Nina. Perhaps arguably the best month in Minnesota should be spent teaching Nina how to swim?

Tuesday. The new possibilities had started to sink in.

Today, Wednesday, since I read the handbook I typed up my notice letter and went over to HR to inform them. At this point, the HR person took my account of the events and expressed her eagerness to try and have the company do what's fair. Her understanding was that my boss had not finalized the consent to telecommute! This was completely different from my understanding because had that been the situation, I would have told him to obtain the final decision prior to signing a purchase-seller agreement.

Later, my boss approached and told me that he was close to decision that would allow me to telecommute and work on reports, so long as I come to the office one or two days a week. I looked at him. He knows that New Ulm is 90 miles away. Given that the company handbook states that employees working further than 60 miles away may telecommute, I asked him if the company would reimburse me for mileage. He said he would get back to me.

I can not imagine driving for 3 hours each day.

And of course there's the moving. We selected Graebel today.

No comments: